From the Kundiawa News Special Goroka Show issue of 29 August 1964
IN 1933 the first white men set eyes on the Chimbu Valley. In 1934 the first Mission was established and in 1938, less than four years later, the first Government school was started.
This was a class of thirty pupils conducted by a Tolai teacher, To Mamua. The school building was a crude kunai structure situated on the hill above Kundiawa station - about half way between the present school site and the Compound.
In 1939 To Mamua was replaced by another Tolai teacher named Jotham and he in turn·was replaced, in 1940, by two teachers - one a Tolai named To Vuvu and the other a Buka, Tue.
At this stage the enrolment was increased to 80 and another classroom was erected. These two teachers carried on the good work for two years until 1942 when they were replaced by New Irelanders Yaraka and Pius.
In 1941 it was decided-that some of the brighter children should be sent to the coast for further schooling and with an eye to giving them teacher-training at a later date - in turn, bringing them back to Chimbu to help with the education of their·people.