My Photo
Blog powered by Typepad
Member since 02/2006

« Notes on the reliability of hearsay & interpretation of evidence | Main | Some thoughts on writing history the Melanesian way »

26 January 2018

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

I posted this on the East Sepik Development Forum this morning and had this response from a teacher at Passam National High School...


Comments by Ramsey Satbah

This is totally true in all aspects. Land Registration, ILGs, etc are all designed to take customary land away from the indigenous owners.

This type of trickery by selfish individuals in positions of power and authority will definitely result in very severe negative consequences.

Most of our uneducated, uninformed, ignorant and vulnerable people live in the rural areas, where land is their life.

Deprivation of land from the majority of our rural population can be seen as genocide in the long term.

Simple, if the government has miserably failed to manage the 10% of land acquired during colonial times, how then does it see fit to acquire and manage the other 90% of land currently communally owned and managed by the indigenous landowners???

A sad day for PNG. So folks, landowners, do not be misled by selfish foreigners and the 10% men like JT and his fellow parliamentarians.

After 42 years of Independence, the stark reality is that a majority of our people, both educated and semi educated, have very little knowledge of the laws, processes and policies that govern our nation.

Things that we hold close to us, such as land, are not seen as an asset or as a property, but as our identity, our being. They define where we come from and who we are as a tribe, clan, family or individual. Land is something that can never ever be separated from a true blooded Papua New Guinean.

What Minister Justin Tkatchenko is starting here, whether intentionally with devious motives or innocently with lack of understanding, is poking a stick into a hornets' nest.

Many Papua New Guineans have read his statement on the media but have flicked it aside as just more mumbo jumbo from Port Moresby, without fully understanding the vast implications the statements will have on their lives.

Much of the policy, vision and mission statements from the government are never fully understood by almost all Papua New Guineans, simply for lack of comprehension.

Many of us come up with our own interpretations that make sense to us or our audiences at our level, that is, the village folks back home.

Having said all this, Dr Clement and people like him with a clear understanding and interpretation of such statements by the minister are the few who understand the disastrous implications for our people. The majority have no idea.

When it does become policy, is implemented and begins to be actioned, I tell you all hell will break loose with Papua New Guineans who only have only one thing that identifies them, land.

I am reminded of the public outcry when land was to be registered back in the 1990's? I will not be surprised when this stick the Minister is using causes the hornets' nest to explode.

This is another ploy to strip further this beautiful nation of its greatest identity...land!

Have we not had enough taken? We have yet to return what has been taken. We have yet to plant and keep seeds for our future children. Enough already.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

Your Information

(Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)