NOW the struggle by students to get vice-chancellor Dr Albert Schram back at Unitech has succeeded, we know a few things:
1. Democracy works from below and not from above. Don’t expect well fed and firmly established leaders to guaranty your rights and freedom. You still have to earn them. It may seem unfair. But this is the way things work in history.
2. Thanks to God’s gift of intelligence and a few Americans in Silicon Valley, the fight for freedom and rights now has new and powerful tools called social media. Some yesterday-men resented Unitech students and Dr Schram use of social media in this battle. They just share the same view of a number of authoritarian leaders and unelected governments all over the world.
3. You fight for a principle, as students repeatedly said, not for a man. Agree. But good principles and behaviour are always enshrined in particular human beings and right conscience.
4. It is just fair to expect that Unitech will now be run by relevant authorities, but with regular involvement of the student body. A good recipe for all schools in the country.
5. The challenge for all is to now take Institutions of learning to higher moral standards with full respect of the seventh commandment (do not steal!) from which all material and spiritual improvement descends.