THE first step to solving the Unitech boycott has been reached with the agreement of a platform for two-party while students steadfastly maintain their ‘No Schram, No School’ policy.
A government delegation led by Minister for Higher Education Delilah Gore and consisting of Ministers Kerenga Kua, Ben Micah, Richard Maru and Robert Atiyafa (pictured) had a successful first dialogue with the Unitech students on campus in Lae.
Both sides agreed the court action involving Dr Schram must be dismissed to enable the exiled vice-chancellor to return, with a plan to get Cabinet approval this week.
Unitech SRC president Eddie Nagual said the way forward had been established, and that was the need to communicate.
Nagual said the Administration will remain shut, the boycott is to continue and the main campus gate will remain closed until students meet the government delegation on Thursday.
Speaking on behalf of the government team, Attorney General Kerenga Kua said it marked the first success story to end the Unitech impasse.
Kua said a platform for meaningful dialogue had been achieved, the issues arising from the impasse had been defined and both parties recognised that the return of Dr Schram was the core issue.
Both parties agreed to come up with a joint submission to dismiss the court order preventing Dr Schram from entering Unitech, which was expected to be filed yesterday.
Nagual urged the student body and staff to come together for one last time and compile a workable plan to submit to the government.
“This is a win-win situation, now we all have to give our responses and requests forming the submission with the assistance of the government,” he said.
Proceedings from the meeting will be presented to the National Executive Council tomorrow after which the government party is expected back at Unitech to address students.
Kua said Dr Schram is free to enter PNG anytime but will have to file a visa application.