I have a limited understanding of the Byzantine machinations of Papua New Guinean politics but this business really leaves me scratching my beard when trying to work out what is really going on.
As I understand it -
- Task Force Sweep has been investigating payments to Paraka Lawyers going back to the Somare government days, of which both O'Neill and Namah were a part.
- Namah (now leader of the opposition) is concerned that there has been some sort of cover up, and has instituted legal proceedings against O'Neill and two other government ministers.
- This seems to have involved some sympathetic members of the police force and possibly the PNG Defence Force.
- Namah sought the arrest of O'Neill and two colleagues, separately from the Task Force Sweep investigations.
- O'Neill has now got a stay order against the attempted arrests of him and his ministers.
- Sam Koim of Task Force Sweep says he has no knowledge of the warrants against O'Neill et al and this is not part of his investigation, which is still underway.
- Namah himself is now under investigation for a conspiracy to undermine the Government.
It is getting more convoluted every day.
What is really going on here? It makes House of Cards seem like a rather dull documentary by comparison.